In the United States Mother's Day is a holiday celebrated annually on the second Sunday of May. Mother's Day in 2023 is on Sunday, the 14th of May in week 20. Don't forget to give your mother a gift, send a card, take her out for dinner or buy her some nice flowers to show her how special she is. Read all about the traditions in the USA.
Mother's Day is not a federal holiday but it's a day to celebrate motherhood and show appreciation for mothers, including (great-)grandmothers, stepmothers, foster mothers and other mother figures. The history goes way back: the modern holiday was first celebrated in 1908. Anna Marie Jarvis was the founder of this holiday in the United States.
Second Sunday of May 2023
This special day is celebrated in a lot of countries around the world. Some with different celebrations, traditions and dates. Most of them are celebrated on the second Sunday of May, like in the United States. If you are from the United Kingdom or Ireland you should know that it is celebrated on the fourth Sunday in Lent (19 March 2023). It is a different date than the USA because the date in the UK is connected to Easter (which changes year-to-year). And if you live in an Arab country the day will most likely be celebrated on the 21st of March.
Are Mother's Day celebrations different in various states of the USA?
This year, it will be the 109th time Mother's Day has been celebrated as a national holiday since 1914. This holiday is celebrated all over the United States, but each state might have its own unique way of celebrating.
- In Hawaii, they give mothers a lei, which is a garland made of flowers.
- In Tennessee, there is a special Mother's Day Brunch that features classic southern dishes.
- In New York, there is a Mother's Day Walk to raise money for breast cancer research, and in Texas, it is common to have a barbecue with family and friends.
- In Alaska, some families celebrate by taking a whale watching tour.
These are just a few examples of how different states may celebrate this day. While there may be some differences in traditions and customs, the underlying sentiment of the holiday - showing love and appreciation for mothers - remains the same across the United States.
What are the Mother's Day dates in 2023 around the world?
Did you know that this day is celebrated on different dates around the world? For example, in the United Kingdom, it's celebrated on the fourth Sunday of Lent, while in Mexico, it's celebrated on May 10th every year. If your mom or grandma lives in a country where Mother's Day is celebrated on a different date than in the USA, make sure to take note of that date and send your card or gift in advance. You can check the specific date for Mother's Day in their country and mark it on your calendar to ensure that you don't forget. Here's a list of dates in different countries for 2023:
- March 19th: UK and Ireland
- March 21st: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and other Middle Eastern countries (celebrated on the Spring Equinox)
- May 8th: South Korea (also known as Parents' Day)
- May 10th: Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, and other Latin American countries
- May 14th: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and many European countries like Germany (Muttertag 2023) and the Netherlands (Moederdag 2023)
- May 28th: Haiti (last Sunday of May)
If you're sending a card or gift internationally, make sure to allow plenty of time for shipping. International shipping can take several weeks or even months, depending on the destination and shipping method. You can check with your local post office or shipping company for their recommended shipping deadlines to make sure your gift or card arrives in time.
Día de las Madres 2023 in Mexico
Mother's Day 2023 in Mexico is on May 10th. In Mexico, Mother's Day is called "Día de las Madres 2023." Just like in the United States it is a day to honor and appreciate mothers, grandmothers, and other maternal figures. Besides giving the usual gifts, such as flowers, cards, and chocolates, many families also have a special meal or go out to eat together to celebrate the occasion. Some Mexican families even throw big parties or host family gatherings to celebrate Mother's Day. In some Mexican regions it is customary for children to sing songs or perform dances for their mothers. In other regions, it is common to visit churches or participate in other religious ceremonies to honor mothers.¡Que tengas un excelente Día de las Madres y cuídense mucho el uno al otro!
When is Mother's Day weekend 2023?
Most commonly considered the weekend is the period between Friday evening and the end of Sunday. Therefore you can assume that the weekend in which this annual holiday is celebrated starts on Friday the 12th of May. The date changes year-to-year and just like Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday of November, Mother's Day is always held on the second Sunday of May. It is not a federal or public holiday in the USA, but many organizations, schools, and government offices are closed anyway because it is on a Sunday.
What are the Mother's Day gift trends for 2023
Here is an overview of Mother's Day gift trends for mothers in 2023. The purpose of this list is to inspire, not to sell, when it comes to finding the perfect gift for your mother. We recommend buying local gifts whenever possible to support the local economy.
- Sustainable gifts: Environmental awareness is increasingly important, and sustainable gifts are popular. Consider reusable water bottles, organic skincare products, eco-friendly kitchen utensils, or recycled jewelry.
- Wellness gifts: Mothers deserve to be pampered, and wellness gifts are a popular choice. Think of a spa day, a massage, a yoga subscription, or a wellness retreat. Give your mother the opportunity to relax and indulge in self-care.
- Personalized gifts: Gifts with a personal touch are always appreciated. Consider personalized jewelry, a customized photo frame, a personalized book, or a handwritten letter. Show your mother she's special by giving something unique and personal.
- Custom pins are also a good gift. You can customize the pins with your mother’s photo or some warm words at Pins.US. Similar products include custom patches, keychains, etc. I believe mothers will love these special gifts!
- Tech gifts: Technological gadgets are popular across all ages, so why not consider a tech gift? Think of a smartwatch, wireless headphones, an e-reader, or a smart speaker. Choose something that fits your mother's interests and makes her daily life easier.
- Local products: Support the local economy by buying gifts from local artisans, artists, or entrepreneurs. Consider locally handmade jewelry, artisanal chocolates, locally produced wine, or local flowers. Not only will you give a unique gift, but you'll also support the local community.
- Experience gifts: Experiences are often more valuable than material gifts. Consider giving your mother an experience gift, such as a cooking class, a wine tasting, a concert ticket, or a trip. Create memories together and give her something to look forward to.
We hope this list has inspired you in finding the perfect gift for your mother in 2023. Remember to consider local products and support the local economy whenever possible. The most important thing is to show your appreciation and love to your mother on this special day!
Mother's day dates
Upcoming dates in the United States: